Duration and Fees for Limited Authority to Teach Applications
You can use the guidelines below to find out the duration of time that a Limited Authority to Teach (LAT) applicant could be eligible for and which processing fee would need to be provided.
Duration of Limited Authority to Teach (LAT)
Depending on the applicant's situation and circumstances a LAT can be granted for up to one, two or three years. Most LAT's will be issued for up to one year, but in some special cases, a LAT may be issued for two or three years. A LAT would not be issued for a time period beyond the length of the fixed term employment agreement that an individual has with the employing school/centre for the specific teaching position.
Approvals will be granted on the basis of the criteria and expectations set out in the LAT policy (in Section Three of the Registration Policy) and will be granted for one, two or three years using the following criteria:
Up to Three Year LAT's will be issued for:
qualified to level 6 or above relating to role AND:
- part time (up to 0.5) specialist teachers (such as a language specialist)
- itinerant teachers
- guidance counsellors (with teaching responsibilities)
- applicants participating in initial teacher education programmes (only until the qualification is complete).
Up to Two Year LAT's will be issued for:
- Māori medium settings
- alternative education centres / special character settings / in a school in support of secondary-tertiary partnerships
- isolated rural settings (using MOE criteria).
Up to One Year LAT's will be issued for:
- day to day relievers
- positions for which it is currently difficult to secure a certificated teacher.
- $56.22 including GST of 15% - for a LAT up to one year
- $112.44 including GST of 15% - for a LAT up to two years
- $168.66 including GST of 15% - for a LAT up to three years.