English and Māori Medium mentors and mentees needed
Are you, or someone you know, interested in becoming a mentor?
For Provisionally Certificated Teachers (beginning teachers), having an effective induction and mentoring programme is the key to building a strong foundation for their teaching career. Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to find a mentor.
That’s why the Education Council has launched a new induction and mentoring pilot – Tuakana Teina.
Tuakana Teina aims to harness the skills and knowledge of experienced pou tautoko/mentor teachers. Pou tautoko/mentors will be employed and paid (for the duration of the pilot) by the Education Council and be matched with a limited number of PCTs who are looking for a mentor. The outcome of this relationship being that a PCT will make progress towards Full Certification. A mentor might work with only one, or several different PCTs, over the period of the pilot.
Applications are now open for 2019, and the pilot will run for the full academic year!
What does a mentor look like?
If you, or someone you know, meet the criteria below then we’d like to hear from you! Are you:
- A current or recent practitioner skilled in the craft of teaching
- Approachable, open and reliable
- Well-established in the skills of observation, providing feedback, encouraging reflective practice and developing co-constructed next steps
- Up to date with our Code and Standards for the Teaching Profession, and reflective teaching practice/Teaching as Inquiry
- Experienced as a mentor
- Flexible and able to commit time to supporting a beginning teaching in their educational setting
Do you know a beginning teacher who is looking for a mentor?
If you know someone who is looking for a mentor please direct them to this page for further details.
Want to find out more?
Email: email@example.com or call the Induction and Mentoring Project Leader Charmaine Nelson on 04 974 9063.